Friday, June 14, 2024

Still PLaying with Crayons & Sketches/Doodles

 Some sketches I did last week, plus more wax crayon practice. Just playing!


Double sketch with a mechanical pencil inspired by a TV scene that I paused.


Imaginary girl sketch with a mechanical pencil...


Imaginary girls with a Zig double ended marker...


Imaginary vase of flowers with wax crayons -first try...


I didn't like the original version, so I used a palette knife to scrape off as much of the crayon as I could and brushed a coat of clear gesso over the whole page and let dry.

I added more crayon layers all over and grayed the background before using a white Posca paint pen to add highlights and squiggles. I only lacked one flower when my fine Posca pen ran dry, so I had to finish with a bigger pen, and I know the bottom leaves shouldn't have the points merging with the sides of the vase, but it is what it is, and I can live with it now.

I don't plan these beforehand. I just start coloring and drawing as I go. I know the "rules", but playing in my sketchbooks is much more fun when I just relax and ignore them! Besides, it's a great stress reliever!

I still want to try melting the wax for a dreamy effect, and I think I've figured out a way. The heat gun didn't work, but I've seen where using an iron over parchment paper might. I think I need one of those mini irons for this purpose, but also for use with my stitch meditations.

Now, on to my next experiment! Enjoy every moment. They're flying by fast!

No comments: