Thursday, February 20, 2014

Study of Matisse Figure 2-Masters Class-Week 1

My second attempt at a Matisse painting in the Studying With the Masters e-course (link on sidebar). This one is "The Mauve Bolero", and the original was painted in oils. I used acrylics in a mixed media art journal to study and practice his techniques again.


A small value study in Stablio black pencil...


Drawn off and colors laid in...


My version of the painting, again not trying to copy Matisse exactly. Only trying to learn! I have a lot of learning left to do. The painting is not nearly as simple as it looks, but it sure was fun to try.

I love the simplicity of the subject matter and the colors. Of course, Matisse did a much better job!

12 comments:

EVA said...

Great version! It looks like a fun course.

P.S. Sharon did you know you have word captcha on - took me 4 tries to leave a message... with a lot of eyestrain to finally figure it out.

Renee Dowling said...

Your lady looks like she is enjoying her book! I really like the colour contrasts. Even the most "simple" looking art is never simple in time.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautifully done! Valerie

Netty said...

It sounds like a really fun course and love your interpretation.
Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Giggles said...

Nice!!

Hugs Giggles

bellefrogworks said...

I am taking that course as well. I have learned so much and I'm barely past Matisse. I think your painting captures the spirit of Matisse's painting so well - but as you said (and as it should be) you have made it your own. Lovely job

Annabelle said...

A very lovely version Val. Looks like you are gathering much in the lessons, enjoy the class!

Annabelle : )

Grove Walker said...

Thank you for showing your steps. The result is definitely one to hang on the wall. I think it is amazingly good.
x

Jez said...

A lovely Matisse-inspired painting Valerie, with your own individual touch added. I think Matisse is an excellent artist to study and learn from, and you have achieved the task of painting so well.

AM Zafaran said...

Learning from the masters looks very interesting. Love your personal take on the subject.

peggy gatto said...

This is a real beauty!!!
Bravo

irene said...

Your version has a very sweet feel.