Saturday, May 2, 2020

Trying Something New! Dainty Dresses!

From Rag Bag Gals group on FB-Darling Dainty Dress Swap

I didn't sign up for the swap, as I have too many irons in the fire now as it is, but after seeing a few examples, I, of course, had to make one! I had no idea what size they were supposed to be, or the guidelines for making them, so I'm winging it. I didn't draw out a pattern, or anything. I just freehand cut the two pieces and stitched them together. This is what I came up with. It's ready to embellish, but the deep crease in the skirt is bothering me, where I didn't get the gathers spaced out more. I didn't have it pinned or tacked, so it was kind of hard to hold while stitching. I'm thinking I may re-do it before embellishing.

By a fluke, the size rule was 4"-5" and mine is, at this point, 4 1/2", and I'm only doing the front, which has a linen top and a cotton skirt.


I have made doll dresses in the past, but not this kind! So this is a learning first. I have, since starting this one, seen different ways of starting them, including cutting a template out of card stock in the shape of the dress, then embellishing it, which would be perfect to put on a card, so I would like to try that at some point. But, one step at a time, and right now I'm trying to focus on this little cutie! Will share a photo when it's finished!

More fun stuff! I love learning new creative things! 😊

No comments: