Saturday, May 2, 2020

Revisiting a Couple of Gelli Plate Prints

I decided to do some more to these two small gelli plate prints to make them better. I think I failed, especially with the top one! Both are printed on a vintage music book page using a mini gel plate with Golden open media acrylic paints.


Originally, the cat and gelli print were printed with the cat's tail  going all the way to the top of the print. When I decided to use my Posca paint pens to add some impressionistic dots, I decided the tail didn't need to be that long and tried to cover it, and also the blue random image on the right. I should have left the tail alone. It kind of took away from the cat's character when I shortened it. It stayed like that for a long time, but this week I was playing with India ink and gel pens in my sketchbook, so I decided to add white scribbles  and highlights, along with a few black lines with the gel pens. I think I probably should have left the scribbles off the background, but it is what it is, and the only way to fix it is to go over the background with acrylic paint and kind of start over on it. I'm going to let it sit for a while and see. I can always use in in a collage. So it's all good!


When I first pulled this one, I saw the little crowd of people image in the paint, so I added black gel pen lines to bring them out and left it for a long time. Again, this week, while playing with my gel pens and ink, I used the pens to bring out the lion-ish image and highlight some of the figures. For some reason, this is comforting to me. I have since seen another figure apart from the rest, but don't know if I will pull it out, or not. Going to let it sit a while and see!

I love pulling images out of random paint and pencil marks on paper, and gelli plate prints are wonderful for that. Also addictive! 😀 Fun stuff!

No comments: