Saturday, May 30, 2020

Threads, Faces, and Fabric Book

I've been looking at, and wanting to try, perle cotton thread on my stitching projects for a while now. I finally broke down and ordered a set of #8 sized neutral colors from Amazon. Apparently the name brand changed from Valdani to Eleganza while the order was in process. Kind of expensive, and I was expecting larger balls of thread, but it's enough for a trial run. I'm pretty sure that if/when I order more colors, I'll order a cheaper brand, since I don't sell what I make. It's strictly for my own pleasure and stress relief. I did try a bit of it on a stitch meditation piece and LOVE it though!
-petite portraits printed off on beige candlewicking cotton fabric fused to freezer paper. Printed off good on inkjet, but sprayed fixative on b4 ink good and dry, causing melting effect, spectral--for use in  latest fabric book start (prev post)

I printed off some of my face sketches from petite portrait (see previous post) onto beige candlewicking cotton fabric inherited from my mom, after ironing the blank fabric to the shiny side of freezer paper for stability going through the printer, with inkjet ink. They printed off very well, but I didn't wait for the ink to dry good before spraying them with a fixative, which caused the ink to bleed, badly on a couple of them. I kind of like them though. It gave them a spectral/mysterious  quality. So it's all good! They're still usable, and I have pinned them to the cover and pages of the fabric book I just started (see previous post) to be stitched and embellished. I like them hiding among the fabric scraps!




Since pinning these sketches to the pages, I have re-printed the originals onto fabric, and am letting them get good and dry before spraying them this time, just in case I want to use a clearer image on some of them, or for use on a different project!

While I was at it, I also printed off onto white cotton fabric some black and white family photos for use in the white fabric album I started first a couple of years ago. Who knows, I might get the urge to finish it anytime now!

Anyway, all these projects keep my mind and hands busy and off of all the negative stuff going on in the world. It's a good thing.

No comments: