Wednesday, January 22, 2014

First Project From the Masters Class-Matisse Background Pattern Study

I can't believe how much information was included in week one of Jeanne Oliver's course, "Studying With The Masters-Becoming An Apprentice!" It's a nine week course with a different master and a different teacher each week, and it will be up for two years, so there's plenty of time to study and get the most out of it by practicing what I learn. Matisse is up for week 1 and Jeanne Oliver is teaching! I can tell you that the first week alone is worth the price of the whole course.

Matisse has never been one of my favorite artists, but Jeanne has changed that. I learned a lot about his history, his life, his art, his techniques, etc. through her videos, then watched her study and paint a copy of his "Le Coiffure" painting, which was very interesting, and she also documented her process in pictures, as he did. But I get ahead of myself!


There are about four projects to practice on and learn from and we could start with whichever we wanted to. I started by making my own Pinterest board of Matisse paintings (Jeanne also has one for the class) to study. Matisse painted in oils, but we are free to use whatever is comfortable for us, which is a good thing. I used to paint in oils, but I've been studying mixed media for so long that I'm liable to reach for anything!

Above are pattern cards (watercolor paper) I made by studying Matisse's patterns, then copying them onto the cards, using watercolors for the backgrounds and markers, pastels, etc to make the patterns. One card's background is a black wax crayon with a paint marker pattern (paint markers are new to me). Some cards have only one pattern and the rest have the whole patterned background and similar colors that Matisse used in that particular painting. I learned a lot about his color combinations and patterns by doing this project, and it was addictive, so I had to make myself stop to work on another project!

Project 2, which I'm working, on is studying and copying (loosely) a Matisse painting of our choice, and I almost have mine finished!

I'm having so much fun and I'm so grateful to Jeanne for teaching me about Matisse and helping me to see his work through new eyes.

Week 2 is up now, and it is studying with Junelle Jacobson about Antonio Gaudi, the architect. I've glanced over the material, and it looks very interesting, but it's going to have to wait a couple of days, I'm afraid. I'm not through with Matisse yet!

Happy Creating! :D


No comments: