Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Still Playing w Crayons and Character Sketches

 It's way too hot in the Southern USA to do much, even indoors with the air conditioning, so I'm still playing with crayons and sketching. I'm trying to do at least one, sometimes two or three, a day right now. It feels so good after a long spell of not doing much creatively! Hope I can keep it up and get better!


Still jumbo wax crayons-I guess it could be sort of an abstract? Seems like it needs something else, so I may do something more to it at some point.


Another crayon abstract like page wip that I'm waiting on to tell me what else it needs, so it may change at some point too. I kind of like it now though?


Imaginary crayon face that I lost control on, but I have seen this expression on people before!


Character sketch inspired by an online photo with a Stablio pencil on textured paper.


I tried to do a sketch from a selfie of myself with a gel pen. I really hope I look better than this in person, but it was good experience!


This one is from memory of a photo that spoke to me, but I couldn't find it again. My memory isn't that great! Stablio pencil on textured paper.


This is the first attempt inspired by another online photo with a Zig marker pen. 

I didn't leave room for the little dog in the first try, so I gave it another go, and made room by lightly sketching in the basic outline in a mechanical pencil first, and then sketching with the fine end of the Zig marker pen. I did these last two today. I LOVE the last one!

I don't sell my stuff (most of it is in sketchbooks), and I don't try to copy the people literally.  I'm just practicing getting the emotions and character down loosely and hoping I improve with each one. As soon as I work up the nerve, I'm going to go through the photos I inherited from my parents and try sketching from them.

I've also written my first poem in years from "found words" and am trying to get it like I want it. Proud of myself for any creative achievements I've accomplished lately!

Anyway, it's all good fun, and hopefully I'm making progress in some way! It's about the process for me, and besides, it keeps me out of trouble, which is a good thing! 😄 

No comments: