Friday, May 22, 2020

Placemat Fabric Book #2

Reversible place mat fabric book beginnings, pinned and ready to start hand stitching, that I sewed together on the machine a while back. These placemats were gifted to me, and I loved them, but we don't use placemats, so I've opted to make books out of two of them. This is the second one, and the pinned fabric pieces, which I pinned on a couple of days ago, may, or may not, stay as they are once I start stitching. There will be more layers of fabric, maybe some beading and old jewelry, etc, and maybe some lace, buttons, and ribbons. Plus, I'm thinking I might print some of my sketches or photos off on fabric to add to each page. Kind of a way to combine my art and stitches. We'll see!

Front Cover
Double Pages 1
Double Pages 2
Double Pages 3
Back Cover
Cover opened up

The bottom will be closed up too, in some way. These fabric pieces are scraps from fat quarter bundles, except for the piece with text on it, which I bought a large piece of. The next layers will be from vintage fabric scraps. I'm going to have to go scrap diving in my big box again! No telling what will wind up on these covers and pages, but I like how they've started out!

I've never tried Perle cotton thread before, and although I have lots of DMC embroidery floss, crochet cottons and yarn, different sizes of weaving threads, sewing threads, and felting wools, I ordered a sampler box of twelve neutral colors to start this book with. I'm sure I will use a variety of threads before it's done, but I'm anxious to see how the perle cotton feels. If it feels right, I might just order some of the brighter colors!

Just waiting on the thread...

No comments: