Sunday, April 28, 2019

Star Quilt Mama Made

The last hand quilted quilt that mama made for me, before she passed away in 2017, fits my queen sized bed. I recently wanted a change from the Dutch Doll quilt that I had been sleeping under for many years, so I pulled this one out and put it on my bed. It doesn't show in the pictures, but the bed ruffle is the same color as the curtains. Also my original artwork on the walls, which is also about to be replaced, except for the large one over the bed.


My mom also made the crochet doily over the lampshade on the night stand.




My large weaving loom waiting between the bed and the window for me to finish the piece started on it...


I have many beautiful quilts given to me by my grandmothers, aunts, and several by mama over the years, plus I inherited what she left behind, plus a few from hubby's mom and aunt. I love quilts, and quilted some as a teenager, when one neighbor would hang quilting frames from the ceiling and other neighbors would come and they would all sit around and work on the quilt while they visited. I never really took to quilting myself, although I did piece together and sew one on my sewing machine once when I was younger. Takes a lot of patience, even on a machine!

My mom lived alone the last fourteen years of her life and spent many hours at night quilting on frames that could be held on her lap, or crocheting doilies, while listening to the TV. Most of them were given as gifts to people she loved.

Why do we not realize how special the people in our lives are until they're gone? It's so sad how we take them for granted when we have them, and can not begin to even imagine how hard the loss will be when they're gone.

Yesterday would have been mama's 87th birthday. Happy Birthday, Mama! RIP 💔

No comments: