Saturday, December 8, 2018

Fall 2018 Field Trip Around the Farm

The Saturday after Thanksgiving hubby and I rode around our little farm in the side by side we call Ole Yeller. It was a gorgeous sunny fall day that just begged us to be outside.

We inherited the little farm, where I've lived my whole life, from my parents, and in the last few years we had to sell our livestock and haven't been able to keep the place up. It's quickly becoming very challenging to maneuver, as the roads and fields are quickly being taken over by cedar trees, thorn trees, thistle, and other vegetation. I have always loved this place so much, and it's painful to see it growing up.

These photos are,  again, photos of some of my favorite places on the farm where my grandpa was also raised.

Papa's big pond that is so peaceful to sit by and commune with nature. This day the previous rains had filled it up. A blue heron flew up, startled by Ole Yeller's motor.


Same scene, only with our shadows included...



Hubby sneaking up to see if there were still any minnows in the pond. There weren't.


One end of the pond...


Sweet gum tree on the pond's edge that the beavers worked over...


Other side of the pond...


Trees by the pond's end that I call the three muses. I'm always drawn to them...


Three Muses closer up



Sun through the tree tops at the pond...


The other end/side of the pond...


Tree in the woods coming back from the pond that had to really struggle to live, but it made it...


Woods by the pond...



Woods and moss coming back from the pond...


Shady rocky area that I love...


Interesting old stump in a state of decay, but still beautiful...


Several photos of the big hedge apple tree in field behind the old homeplace that I love...







Moss covered branches...


Views of the end of the house and porch facing the barn that I have rarely photographed...






The breeze way, which has been filled with junk over the years...


The old kitchen, dining/bedroom, and back porch...


Interesting textures on the roof and boards...


The other side of the kitchen, dining/bedroom/tiny side porch/closets...


The old homeplace, built by my great-grandfather in the 1890s, living room with a real fireplace, which is now all rotted out on the inside...


The side of Papa's old tractor shed covered in moss and decay...



The old chimney...


Living room window, inside view...


Last photo of the old place today, the end of the front porch view. Lots of happy memories of this old place!


Almost back to our house is daddy's buggy/wagon shed on the little hill, holding a buggy and wagon that he built...


Bloomer cat was sitting by the rabbit in the old flower bed in our yard until she noticed me, at which point she started toward me, but stopped for a minute, letting me get this shot of her. She is one of the few feral cats around that will let us pet her.

It was a good day to be out, and although I enjoy walking it and taking the time to really take it all in, which I can't do anymore, it was another good bonding experience with hubby at the wheel, and we were both quite tired when we got back to the house, and ready for a nap. :)

Field trips provide a lot of good inspiration, both for the soul and the muse. Try one for yourself and see! :)


No comments: