Friday, June 12, 2015

Stencil Cutting



My very first attempt at cutting a simple stencil from mylar with an exacto craft knife. You can see, I had no idea what I was doing! It came apart on the spaces between the houses, but I was determined to paint at least one stencil with it in my sketchbook, and I used Gelatos. It turned out rather well, I think, but I don't know how! This stencil has now been retired. :)

I thought I might do better with a stencil burner, so I purchased a multi-tool that is a stencil cutter, wood burner, and soldering tool.

I must have already shared the first attempt with the stencil burner, because it's not in my drafts. Anyway, the burner got so hot that it softened the tip so much that it wouldn't stay hard enought to burn on the lines, and it kept bending sideways, making too wide a cuts. I thought maybe the tip was loose and had hubby to tighten it for me. I put it away for a while.

This morning I got it out again with some Graphix Stencil Film and tried burning a bird and a paisley shape, after sketching them off with a pencil.


The stencils and blanks turned out pretty okay, considering that I had shaky hands, and after I burned the bird shape and part of the paisley, the tip, again, got so hot that it was bending sideways with the least bit of pressure, so I unplugged it to cool off. I guess you're only supposed to cut a few minutes and let it cool, etc.

 I also got the space between the bird legs too thin and it came off. I was going to glue it back, but it got lost somewhere on the table. I got three shapes from the paisley cutting, which I like.


A trial of the stencils/blanks from this morning in an art journal, using Van Dyke Hue open media acrylic and a stencil brush. Marks were made in the stenciled ones with a bamboo skewer while the paint was still wet. These were made on gessoed paper, and the lower left is on the back of wallpaper. The background will be filled in later, as well as, inside the other designs.

The burning/cutting may be a little ragged, but I like it on the pages, so I will keep these for sure. Can't wait to use them with my Gelli plates!

The thing about making your own stencils, stamps, etc., is that they will be uniquely mine, wonkiness and all. Nobody else's will be like them. Of course, I do have some bought ones that would be way too time consuming and complicated to make myself, and I love those also. So, it's all good! :)

Another new experience and a batch of fun! Now, all I need is practice!

Happy Creating!

No comments: