Friday, April 3, 2015

Foam Plate Prints and/or Mandalas

Playing with using foam plates as stamps...


I used a bamboo skewer to "draw" on the bottom of this plate, rolled acrylic paint over it with a brayer, and printed on cardstock. This is the first foam plate I tried, and it may be a little busy, but I like it. Actually, I made it to use with a Gelli Art Plate, but I also like it as a stamp.



Plate #2 was kind of one of those "happy" accidents. I wrote different phrases about New York with a bamboo skewer on the bottom, because I'm making one of our nieces a mixed-media painting, and I was going to stamp these phrases around the sides of the gallery canvas. Fortunately, I rolled paynes gray acrylic paint on it and stamped on a paper instead of directly on the canvas. I had carved all the letters and words backwards, but I forgot to carve the phrase backwards so it would show up right on the canvas. Anyway, the stamped paper with the backward phrases reminded me of gravestone rubbings, and I liked it, so I made a couple more on cardstock! Of course, they need some additional work.

I wound up handwriting the phrases around the sides of the canvas...

These round plates could also be used as the beginning/background of mandalas. They are a good size. I think I'm going to try some! A good example of a mistake that sends you off on a whole different adventure!

Happy Creating!

No comments: