Saturday, April 18, 2015

1st Mini-Canvas Christmas Ornament


This is my first painted Christmas ornament. I borrowed the idea from Pinterest. I ordered a package of six mini stretched canvases, 2" x 2" square, and when they came in I took one out for a prototype. I was pulling prints with my Gelli Arts plate and open media acrylics at the time, so to get rid of the white I gelli printed the canvas! I didn't like the color, so I scraped off what I could of the paint.


When it had dried, I sketched a snowman on it, then used a palette knife to put modeling paste on it for texture and dimension...


After the paste was dry, I used a small brush to paint over the sky and ground. I've decided that this ornament, if it turns out okay, will be for my Aunt Lela, who insisted that I have her ornament in a swap Christmas, because I didn't know to bring one, so she wound up without one. We had a wonderful time at her house with her family!


The size of the canvas compared to a playing card, and I have added his nose and a scarf in paint...


I forgot to make pictures of the sides, but I painted them black and wrote Christmas words in white gel pen. I also added snow with the pen, shading with a Stabilo marks all pencil, buttons, arms, and facial features with Pitt pen, I cut the hat out of paper and glued it on, then decided to paint it, and put the eye screws in. I also used a red gold metallic marker around the edges, because I didn't have a silver one...


The words are a phrase from an old Christmas song that I cut out and glued on with gel medium, the added a layer over the whole canvas for protection. I used a belt that my mom gave me to play with for the chains. I had planned to add beads to the hanging chain, as well as the dangle chain, but I found a package or cute little red jingle bells at JoAnn's Fabric and Craft store and thought that would be cute on the dangle. That idea came about, because I forgot about the beads until I had already attached the chain. 

Anyway, I like how it turned out, at least for a first attempt! Aunt Lela seemed to like it a lot, so that made me happy! I plan on making more, so she may get a better one next Christmas!

It was a lot of fun, and now I'm wanting to make a bunch of them for gifts! We'll see though...

Have an awesomely creative week, and thank you for stopping by! :) 

No comments: