Sunday, August 2, 2026

The Magpie's Nest Handmade Journal-Part 1

 I bought the Magpie's Nest class with Aimee Bishop on Jeanne Oliver's website three, or four, years ago, watched all the videos, and started collecting and making the various elements suggested. I have continued making and thinking about the papers and ephemera ever since.

Lately, I've been seeing other students' work in the Facebook group, and it has inspired me to start working on mine seriously, and I'm loving the results. This is what I have, so far.

The mixed media journal is meant to be messy and raw, like a Magpie's nest, including ephemera, papers, rusty and shiny bits, feathers, etc.


The suggestion for the cover was raw canvas, but I didn't have any, so I used a piece of cotton canvas that was gessoed on one side. I cut it into a 4 1/2" x 11" piece, to be folded in half, for a 4 1/2" x 5 1/2" journal. I painted the inside cover in a thinned acrylic dark blue.


I stained the outside cover with Burnt Umber acrylic paint and let dry.


As per Aimee's instructions, I cut several rows of slits in the long side of the cover. Then I started weaving strips of bought papers, handmade papers, fabric, twine, raffia, yarn, ribbon, etc., first lengthwise, then across.


This is how the outside looks folded, kind of like a nest. I still lack some stitching and embellishing on it.


The inside, unfolded. Not exactly like the teacher's, but it's not supposed to be. I tend to watch the videos, then do my own thing sometimes...


I cut this piece of canvas from a small tote bag that my sister-in-law gave me for my birthday, or Christmas, many years ago for a cover page. 


I put together three signatures of nine pages each, folded in two, using a variety of papers and fabric, some hand painted. Folded to fit inside the covers...

Here, all three signatures have been placed inside the cover to check the fit. It is now ready for the holes to be punched and the signatures to be sewn in.

Fun stuff! I'm on a roll with it now! Stay tuned for the journey!

This is a very calming thing for my soul...

No comments: