Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Character Studies

 Some very interesting selfies have been showing up online with real, and natural, people, so this week I've been trying some character studies with a black gel pen in my sketchbook. They say practice makes perfect, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. I still get wonky faces, but they do have character, I think.

I didn't try for a real likeness. Just wanted to get the gist of the character and practice faces, hairstyles, and clothes. They are all different in their essence, and I love them! 







Any grayness you might see is where I used my white posca marker to "correct" stray ink lines, and I used a lot on this last one. It was just too wonky to leave like it was to start with. I particularly had a hard time with the right eye. I finally got it to where I can live with it and am leaving it. I learned from all of them and want to try some more soon. I used to hate sketching, but have learned to love it.

You don't have to do things perfectly to enjoy doing them! Go for it! :)

No comments: