Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Hidden Paperclip Trials

 The other new technique I learned for my mini junk journal this week, which is probably old to everyone else, but I wanted to try it, and it is fun and can use up a lot of tiny scrap pieces. It's hidden, or covered, paperclips, and there are MANY video versions on Youtube with great ideas, but these are the two fairly easy ones I tried. It took some figuring and trial and error to get the length right on the first one, because the lady in the video used a small one inch paper clip and the measurements, and all I had was a large one and a half inch one, but I eventually got it!


I learned this one from Tracie Fox Creative-A Hidden Paperclip That Has Everything! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vU9BEP_ZFE and she has several variations in the video. I included a comparison of the paper clip before and after.


Basically, I cut a strip of scrapbooking cardstock a little over 4x the length of the paper clip and 3x the width (after a few attempts of getting it too short), folded it in half with the pretty side to the inside, put the paper clip on the middle of the fold, folded the end of the paper up over the long side of the paper clip with the pretty side out, then folded the other end up over the short side of the paper clip. The fold for the short side should be at the same place as the one on the long side of the clip so that the top ends match. Open up and glue each side together, especially around the paper clip. Make sure to hold together long enough for the glue to stick, then let dry. I wrapped my second one in wax paper and put a paper clip on it to hold it together to dry.

I let it dry, inked the edges with a reddish ink (because I've lost the vintage brown one), then picked up a used postage stamp, a bit of newsprint cloth, and a bit of book text that was cluttering up my workspace and collaged them to the front of the clip and added a thin layer of gel medium to finish, and now I have a new paper clip/tab for my journal! And it's pretty!


It can be used on the top of the page like a book mark or on the side like a tab. I have also seen them with the end of the paper clip left sticking out enough to add a ribbon or dangle to, or a hole punched in the bottom corner to hang a dangle since I made these. All kinds of neat stuff you can do with them. This lady also shows how to do tiny collage clusters for adding to small projects. You can do them in bunches for adding to all kinds of things. Check out her video to see how it's done step by step!


I did make a mistake on this one, but it still works! I folded the paper up to the bottom of the short side of the paper clip and trimmed the end to match the other side (because I watched the video, then tried to do it from memory, and my memory isn't what it used to be). THEN I figured out that I was supposed to fold both sides the length of the long side and the ends would match without trimming! Duh! 

Anyway, I made another one just to be sure I had it in my head, the blue one on the right side of the page above. It's glued, dried, edges inked, and waiting for embellishment.

I also tried another variation on Youtube from Sunset Crafts and More-Covered Paperclips with Dangles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gph6WmzAqIM  She had some really pretty ideas, and covering the paper clip was somewhat easier, but the dangles take some time. She did several, like an assembly line, at once, plus she showed three different sizes, from jumbo to small with different embellishments. Check out her video to see much better examples with great instructions!

I basically made an example from memory, which we all know isn't that great, but I took a square piece of scrapbooking cardstock cut about 3x the width of the paper clip and not quite as long as the clip. A little of both ends of the paper clip are sticking out. I wrapped the paper around and glued it to the long side of the clip, pretty side out. She tied pretty ribbons through the top of the paper clip and used jump rings, beads, and charms for dangles to hang from the bottom, with tiny pictures collaged to the top. Since I just wanted an example to jog my memory later when I make some more, I used an old dangle earring and a torn fabric strip for embellishment. The top is so small that I just added a line of text with gel medium. Not near as pretty, but I have the idea!

These were fun to make, and I want to make more, but then, I want to try making everything I see on Youtube and Pinterest craft wise, and there's not enough time, space, or money for me to hop from one thing to another all the time! :D Anybody else have that problem?

My little mini junk journal is becoming a sampler of journaling ideas, and I love it! 

Try something new, even if it's just putting a paper dress on a paper clip! It's good for your soul!

No comments: