Thursday, December 12, 2019

Sacred Landscape w Ivy Newport-Project 3

This is a post draft that I started sometime in 2018 while I was doing the third project in Ivy Newport's "Sacred Landscape" classes (see link on sidebar). I believe it's on a 6" x 6" gallery wrapped canvas, and I used Golden acrylics. This is as far as I've gotten on it, because I got sidetracked, as I often do.

I used an old favorite black and white photo of my maternal grandmother as inspiration. It's been a while, with many other things going on, since I worked on the classes, so I can't remember exactly what I did in each phase, or what this lesson actually was, but I know that I really enjoyed the class and the other projects, which are shared in older posts.

I was enjoying this one too. I just haven't taken the time to finish it, plus my work space/dining room has been in such chaos for almost a year now, but I'm going to go ahead and share the WIP now, and I will share the finished canvas as soon as it's completed.


I love red ochre, so I used it and ivory black, plus maybe some white to block in the base, after lightly sketching the main parts off in, I think, charcoal.


Here I applied some modeling clay with a painting knife to the foreground for texture for rocks and let dry, before adding a second layer of paint and some pencil marks, trying to find m.y way.


I added another layer of paint over everything, covering up part of the pencil marks and getting other marks way off direction. Didn't like how it was going.


After more paint layers, trying different things, this is where it's at right now. It's supposed to be more abstract than this, with the figure not necessarily recognizable. More of an abstract landscape with a figure in it kind of project. I took the class to help me try to loosen up more in my painting. I think it helped some.

Posting this makes me want to get her out and finish her right now, but it's less than two weeks until Christmas, and I have not gotten the first gift or fixed up the first card to send, so I guess she'll have to wait a few more weeks, along with the other paintings and projects that just lack finishing up.

I think that if I never started another new project, I could spend what's left of my life just finishing up the ones I already have going. Sound familiar, anyone? 😊

No comments: