Saturday, May 4, 2019

Still Uncovering Forgotten Treasures in the Studio

It's getting there...slowly! The final corner of my dining room/studio has had everything moved and cleaned, including the wall and floor. Creative stuff and boxes were piled, literally, over halfway up the wall. It had been accumulating for years, some of it empty containers that I meant to store stuff in. Not just art supplies, but doll making, weaving, sewing, fabric crafts, beading, etc., all mixed up together with the tools mixed in among them.

Anyway, everything has been moved and cleaned up, behind, and under. Now comes the task of sorting/organizing what's in the boxes/drawers and on the tables. Much has been thrown away, and I suspect there'll be more to come.


I am easily distracted, I'm trying to clean/de-clutter my bedroom at the same time, plus I tire really quickly and have to stop and rest often. It also contains a whole corner full of fabrics, yarns, weaving looms, sewing machine and stuff, crocheting, etc. Above is what this corner looks like today, before I start working in it again. The boxes you see already have items in them, to be added to, so that's a start! The two large envelopes contain large sheets of pastel, watercolor, and assorted sheets of paper that were buried under the heap, as well as a couple of large sketch pads, one filled, one not! The shelves and china cabinet behind are temporary resting places for things I'm sorting.


A 16" x 20" acrylic painting on canvas that I painted at some point was also excavated. I love to learn and try different styles and techniques! The preacher at my aunt's funeral talked about giving everything, good and bad, to God, and it struck a chord with me. I haven't forgotten it. This was a reminder.


Opened this little chest that my niece gave me to find several filled sketchbooks/art journals and an altered book containing a number of ATC cards that I had painted a few years back. So much fun!


For a long time when I rode the 4-wheeler around the farm to check on the cows, I picked up wild turkey feathers, which were plentiful at the time. I found this bag full, as well as the stuffed limbs for a cloth bed doll that I have started among the treasures. The nesting baskets were also a gift from my niece. There are several of them, from large to small.


This was the last box on the very bottom of the pile and I couldn't remember to save my life was was in it. The turtle shell is another treasure I picked up while riding around the pastures down near the pond. It is totally intact, top and bottom. Why I picked it up, I don't know, but here it is!


The closed duck taped box above, opened, contained a slew of paintings and classwork from various online classes that I have taken in the past several years. Totally forgotten about for a while, but I can't wait to have time to look through them properly! The small envelope in front contains quite a stack of works in progress waiting to be completed. Can't wait to look through those either! It's amazing how looking back through old work can inspire your creativity and show you how much you've grown over the years.

Anyway, this is where this room is at right this minute. As I said, it's slowly getting there, and I can't wait until I have a cleaned off place to work again. I'm having creative withdrawals!

Be well and stay creative!💖

No comments: