Thursday, September 20, 2018

Watercolor Practice

A few years ago, I wanted to learn Sumi painting, because I want to try EVERYTHING to do with art, so I ordered a small set of 12 Sumi watercolor pan set, a brush and ink set, and a book. It was before we all had home computers. 😊 I never mastered Sumi painting, but I enjoyed trying!

Anyway, I've used up most of the pans water coloring in my art journals, and I love them. Despite my having several watercolor sets/tubes, these are my favorites, so I broke down the other day and ordered this set of Kuretake 36 watercolor pans. It's a different brand from my small set, but still sumi paints. The pans, which can also be bought individually to replace empty ones, are smaller, and the larger box palette is kind of awkward (I could hold the smaller one in one hand), but I like the colors, and the pans can be lifted out of the box, so that's a plus. They also come in larger and smaller sets.


So far, I've only used them in a mixed media sketchbook with a round water brush to make a color chart and a couple of quick sketches from imagination (below), but I like the way they handle. 



I sketched them in with a black gel pen and let it dry first, and have since lightened th sun on the last one. Looking forward to playing more with them!

There are so many awesome artistic things to learn and do online, and I love so many of them. I can't choose just one long enough to master it, so I just play in all media! Nothing wrong with that, is there? 😊

Don't stop experimenting, learning, and having fun with whatever brings you creative joy!

No comments: