Saturday, August 4, 2018

Altered Feather Book Journal pages-Scars Quote

A new spread in my altered book, which I call my Feather Journal, because I painted feathers on the cover. It has no certain theme, as it's a first attempt at an altered book, and I work in it sporadically. The original title of the book is "Never Good Enough", which accounts for the text that shows through the sketches and paintings. I didn't think about a theme to go with my art at the time. The book and the art are just random projects.


Beginning pages for this spread (after a coat of clear gesso): Left is a coat of open acrylic shimmering gold and right is a  photo copied from magazine and transferred with gel medium to the book page, and left to dry.


This is after I rubbed most of the transfer paper, and part of the ink (because my printer is an ink jet) off the back of the photo.



I rubbed more of the paper, and ink, off the photo,  drew guide lines and wrote quote in charcoal, then  wrote over with a red Posca paint pen and added marks with gold leaf paint pen. I also collaged a circle from an original gel print, collaged a printed off owl, and extended the line with charcoal, then painted nails and eyelids gold leaf pen. I sprayed fixative over all, then added gloss med over right page face and a layer of cold wax over both pages. The dry wax was then buffed.

The original photo had much more of the reds in it, which is why I loved it so much. I wish the ink hadn't rubbed off as much and that the photo was better, but I'm still okay with it. Who knows? I may use her in another project! :)

Keep creating whatever you love! Don't give up! :)

No comments: