Wednesday, January 24, 2018

PYH&S 2018 Class 3-Digital Collage Paint/Gelli Printing

This is my attempt at digital "Daydreams" with Lucy Brydon in the third class of PYH&S2018 (link on sidebar. Mine has no resemblance to hers. I tried to follow the instructions, but the digital merging and painting I wasn't equipped for...yet!


The first lesson in this class was on gelli plate printing, which I already was familiar with, so I used one that I had made in a class with Mystele Kirkning and haven't finished yet. I made a picture of it and uploaded it to my laptop for a base for my digital piece.


Instead of finding a suitable portrait to merge onto my print, I opted to crop and use the figure from class two, from a photo of my painting.


I finally found a photo editing app that I could figure out how to merge the two photos together in, but, as I have tried digital painting before and made a mess, I didn't try it this time. I did, however, try different filters on the merged photo, and I liked this one, called rouge. So I saved it and printed it off on a hot press 5"x 7" watercolor paper card, which I then tried to tie together in acrylic paint and stabilo pencil. 


It was looking fairly well, until I got the bright idea to spatter brown onto it, and use spray ink to achieve that. I had laid a piece of cardstock over the figure to protect it from spattering, not thinking about it leaving a straight line. And, of course, it was more a spray than spattering, but I could see through it, so I decided to use a small silk rose, dipped in iridescent gold paint to stamp a design on it, and added a hard line with a stabilo pencil, making a curtain, of sorts. I also went over the figure and flowers with the pencil, then used a water brush on them to soften the lines.


The version I'm calling done, for now. I did go back to photo editing and clarify (darken) the lines back up. I'm not happy with her, but I've learned things, and I love the process, which is the point. I can live with her. :)


Just for fun, I tried a filter, called denim, over the final version. I like it!


I also tried a warm filter over the final version! Fun stuff!


This is a picture of my Aunt Minnie, who was 100 years old last April, and had a big birthday party. I merged it onto my gelli print in photo editing, because I thought I would try the painting app on her, but decided not to, at least not now. It is also printed onto a hot press watercolor card.

As I said, I love the process of digitally collaging and painting a piece, and there were some awesome pieces created in the class. I didn't fail, because I learned from my mistakes, and I will definitely spend more time on the digital learning later, but right now, I'm on to the next class!

Fun stuff!

PS: I went back and watched Lucy's last two videos on digital painting, which I didn't watch in the beginning, because I didn't have the software to try it with. After watching them, I learned a lot about the tools and downloaded a couple of apps to try on. Fun stuff! I will be delving back in to digital painting at some point, and I will share what I come up with, Lord willing!

No comments: