Saturday, January 28, 2017

Rabbit Hop School Journal Page and Wren Sketch

I finally finished this page in my Paint Your Town Journal, at least, I think it's finished. It actually looks darker than this in the journal, giving it kind of a creepy vibe, which I didn't mean at all. Anyway, this is how it is for now!


The old Rabbit Hop School, which was a couple of houses over from where I live, in the early 1900s, with a group of school children for that year, all ages and grades. My Grandpa Stricklin and his siblings are among these children. The old school was gone way before I was born, but the Rabbit Hop Community was a thriving family orientated place when I was growing up. It is a few miles outside of Clifton, near the Tennessee River and Glenkirk Landing. Most of the people and buildings are gone now, except my mother, my husband, and me, plus one couple that has a weekend/vacation house.

I painted the whole page, photo transfer and all, a transparent red, for what reason, I'm not sure. I didn't like the red children, so I did another photo transfer exactly like the first one of just the children and used gel medium to collage them over the first one, which left a bit of red behind them. Also, there is a bit of red peeking through the sky of collaged and painted papers.

This is a mixed-media piece, in which, I used photo transfer, collage, acrylic paints, watercolor pencils, gel pen, stabilo pencil, fingers, brush, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. I painted over a b/w photo transfer for the building, and I started to for the children, but decided to leave them as they are, at least, for now.


This is my quick contour sketch for yesterday! I LOVE little fiesty wrens, and thought I'd try sketching some from Pinterest reference photos. This one is done with a Stabilo black pencil, on mixed media paper. I plan to do some more sketches of birds, and I may eventually go back and add a little color to some of the sketches. I'm amazed at how well they turned out, to be so quick, using a continuous line. I love drawing this way! You can't be too fussy about it while you're sketching, which I tend to be when doing regular sketching.

Anyway, this is it for today! Hope, if anybody is seeing my post, that you enjoyed your visit!

No comments: