Sunday, April 26, 2015

Psalm 121 Mandala

I've been having some fun doing mandalas in my sketchbook!


I used my mini Gelli plate to stamp this star on to my page. The first layer was manganese blue hue, the second was Nickel Azo yellow gold (?), and the third was pyrole red. All were open media acrylics.


The outside of a foam plate laid face down and traced around made a good outer circle. I devided the circle into parts according to where the points were where the gelli prints crossed, which you can see are not exactly the same, but then, measuring, or math, is not my strong suit. I used metallic pens to doodle the different patterns into the sections and a sanguine fine Pitt pen to go over the lines between them.


The feather stamp was carved from an eraser and stamped all the way around, and a tiny bought stamp was used to put stars in the sections between the star points. I also wrote part of the 121 Psalm, which is my favorite Psalm, inside the star with a white gelli pen and added black lines with a fine Pitt pen.


I used the black pen to darken the small stars stamp, add circles to the ends of the lines, detail to the feather quills, and glued on a punched out circle from a gelli print in the center. The circle kind of looks like sky and water. The whole thing has an earthy feel to me, and was very meditational and relaxing to do.

This was actually the second one I did in this session. The first is resting in a draft, yet to be finished and posted. I am also working on a third, but it's on an 8" x 8" wooden panel, as it may/may not be a gift, depending on how it turns out. We'll see!

Anyway, they are fun to do and good for my soul!

You don't have to be an expert to do what you enjoy doing! :)


No comments: