Saturday, October 25, 2014

Self Portrait Attempt-charcoal and gesso

More practice for the Studying With the Masters Portrait class, Van Gogh!


This is a study of a Van Gogh sketch in my class sketchbook with a charcoal pencil. The practice was supposed to combine charcoal and white gesso, but I like the sketch and couldn't bear to add the gesso. So, for now, it remains as is!


Practice, using black charcoal pencil and white gesso together and an old photo of me. It stayed like this until this morning, due to life happening and a creative slump. Took a little courage to add gesso, but once I started, I liked it! 


So, after several days in the above state, this morning I sat down at my nest desk, plugged my favorite music in to my ears, opened the white gesso, picked up my charcoal pencil, and went to work. It felt sooooooo good!

Looks nothing like me, except for the wonkiness!, but I learned a lot and had fun. She is what she is!

Charcoal and I have never gotten along, but I'm determined not to let it get the best of me! :)

Don't be afraid to try! The journey is more fun than the destination! (It took me  years to learn that!)

No comments: