Monday, June 24, 2013

Lessons Learned the Hard Way-Part 2 (weaving)

continued from previous post...

I had a heck of a time weaving this, as when I untangled the mess that had dumped on the floor during warping, and re-warped it some of the threads got crossed. I thought I got them untangled and straightened out during the rolling up on the apron bar process with the paper rolled in between, only to discover that the tension in some threads was much looser than others and I had failed to get some of them around the apron bar altogether, which created many problems during the weaving fun. I had encountered many dropped and picked up threads along the way and had to un-weave and re-weave many rows, some I caught right away and some not until the end. Couldn't do much about those! lol


I ran out of the weft thread I was using to begin with, so I skipped up on the warp threads and started using a different weft yarn. Up until now I had been using all Peaches and Crème cotton yarn, but for the last part I used a variegated acrylic Red Heart yarn and above is what I had at the end of the warp length.


I didn't leave a long enough skip on the warp. When I cut it into, the fringe was so short on these ends that it was difficult to knot them off to keep it from raveling. I'm learning!


After I cut them in two. See how short the fringe on one end is? Anyway, I wound up with a long, very soft, scarf and a square one too.


Front side, 12x14" after wet finishing. A few boo boos on the back, but looks ok on the front. Will probably lose the fringe before putting it to use. Could make a cushion cover!

 
 
Back of the long piece, which is about 44x14", showing some of the bobbles. A few rows of weft accidentally got two lines woven through, which accounts for the thicker lines. These I didn't see until after the fact, but I think they add to the texture and design of the front. Some of the threads had long spaces where I missed picking them up, so I clipped them, took a needle, and wove them in the best I could that way. I also had to tighten up some of the loose loops and weave in loose ends.
 
 
The front side after wet finishing. It will make a good piano bench cover maybe?
 
I made a lot of mistakes while I was weaving this piece, and I got really frustrated with it and almost ditched it at one point, but I refused to let it beat me and stuck with it until the end. I'm happy I did, because I really learned a lot of valuable lessons on it, plus I used up some of my scrap yarn stash.
 
Lessons learned the hard way always tend to stick with one, don't they? And experience really is the best teacher.  I now know what to watch out for and pay close attention to the next time. :)
 
Shared on Creative Every Day, where you can find many different artistic styles and blogs just by clicking on a picture!

No comments: