Sunday, June 2, 2019

Paper Mache' Masks



These are my first attempts at making paper mache' masks about twenty-two years ago. When I was forty-eight years old I went to community college for the first time, and one of the classes I took was art, of course. I was so excited, because I never got a chance to take any art in the rural school I attended, and what art I attempted was self taught with the aid of books, magazines, and later some courses by mail, and it was mostly painting.

I had never in my life tried paper mache', and had no idea what I was doing. The art wasn't made in the classroom, but at home as assignments. I gave it a valiant try, using what materials I had, and made the gray cat mask above. The paper layers didn't adhere well and it wound up flimsy and thin, but I got a good grade on it. I did as well, or better, than some of the other students, so it was ok!

Having enjoyed the experience, I ordered some flexible mesh wire and the right kind of glue, and, using myself to shape the faces, I tried making two more. They turned out somewhat better, although a little lumpy and wonky. I didn't know to sand them smooth before painting, or maybe I was just lazy. They also turned out much harder and stiffer than the cat mask. I tried to paint them in reference to the Pierrot clowns, which I love.

Not the best job on any of the masks, but they are not failures, because I tried, plus I really enjoyed the process!

Anyway, they have been sitting on top of my collectible dollhouse all these years staring back at me, and since I am trying desperately to de-clutter the house in case one of us needs a wheelchair or walker in the future, and I'm trying to be ruthless about letting stuff go, I let them go, which is why I'm documenting the experience here.

It was an enjoyable experience that I learned from, but I don't think paper mache' is for me, at least not yet! 😀

No comments: