Friday, June 8, 2018

Playing with Ink and String

I saw a video on Facebook where the woman was dipping a string in ink, laying it between book pages, and pulling it out to make exquisite calla lily looking shapes. You lay the inked string in a squiggly pattern on a paper (she did it in a book) or page, close the book, or lay another paper with a book on top of it, press down on the top book/paper, and pull the string out the bottom to leave the image.

I need practice, but I tried it with different strings just to experiment, and got some unusual shapes! Fun!


I dipped a piece of yarn in India ink and squiggled and looped it onto a page in my altered book. The yarn was too saturated, which left blobby looking shapes at first (the darkest ones), but I pulled it through four times without re-inking and got better prints (the lightest ones). Interesting!


Then I tried a yoyo string, because it was handy, dipped in different colors of acrylic ink and made this image, also in my altered book. Nothing like the video, but still interesting shapes!


Lastly, I tried some acrylic inks with sewing thread, which left a more delicate image, and some interesting shapes, but next time I want to squiggle the thread, because you can see where I looped it in these. Still an enticing background for ephemera!

I won't say practice makes "perfect" (if there is such a thing), but it will definitely make you better!

Keep learning and practicing, and I will too!

No comments: