Thursday, April 19, 2018

Class 8 PYH&S 2018-"She Wore Flowers in her Hair"

Mixed media painting on paper in 9"x12"  journal inspired by Tracy Verdugo in class 8 of the PYH&S 2018 (link on sidebar)-No collage. Tracy painted on a canvas, which would work much better. I just don't have room for so many canvases, so I'm doing mine on mixed media paper. I gessoed it, but it's still kind of slick.


First layer of acrylic paint and marks and stenciling. I like it this way and hated to cover it up!


Kept adding paint and marks until the face and bird started emerging and kind of blocked them in.


More layers of paint, runs, and marks, and started bringing features out. I see that one eye is quite a bit lower than the other and the bird body is too long to suit me.


Evened up the eyes and added more layers of paint...


More adjusting and layering, plus added some flowers in her hair...


Continued to layer and refine, shortened the bird's body and like it much better. Used citra solve on a rag to remove some of the background paint between the iridescent pink runs. Needed something for the left upper corner, so instead of painting, I used a circle punch to cut circle landscapes out of a paper that I used to clean my brushes off on and collaged them onto the painting. She looks nothing like Tracy's, and I did some stuff that she didn't, but I'm pretty happy with her like she is, plus, I learned a lot, which is the object of the class! Fun stuff!

Keep learning and keep creating! It's good for you! :)

No comments: