Friday, November 21, 2014

First Handmade Accordion Fold Journal

I'm kind of taking a break from painting and classes this week by doing other creative things. I have a bunch of projects that need to be finished, but this week I decided to try making an accordion fold journal. I learned what "not to do" on this one, but it's still usable!



I started by tearing a 12" x 18" sheet of mixed media paper in half longways and gluing the two ends together. I wasn't thinking, and I made the mistake of gluing the book covers (thin paste board) to the inside paper ends before covering them on both sides. Therefore I had to trim them to the size of the page with no overlap. I painted the edges red with a gelato crayon and glued an old piece of decorative silk thread paper to the outside covers.

I found a piece of scrapbooking paper with red hearts embellished with gold leaf, cut one out and glued it to the front using gel matte medium. Unfortunately, the matte medium also dulled the red color, making it not as vibrant. I'll have to fix that. It doesn't bring out the red silk threads in the paper now like it did before it was dulled. I will be adding some red paint to it!


Painted red acrylic on the heart and added more gold with a leafing pen. Like it much better!

I punched a tiny hole in the back cover, ran a long length of gold colored hemp cord through it (because that's what I had handy!) and tied a knot on the inside, added a glass bead to the other end, wrapped it around the journal 3-4x, and tucked it under to hold the journal together. I've never used an accordion fold journal before. I look forward to seeing what I can do with it, despite its flaws!

There are some wonderful versions of accordion folded journals online, and maybe I'll try some of those sometime, but, for now, this simple one will do for practice!

Hope you all have an awesome weekend! :)

No comments: