Saturday, August 23, 2014

First Plaster Attempts-Altered Sketch Book Cover

Before I learned that the plaster of paris strips won't stick directly to canvas, and while I was working on the plaster heart canvas in a previous post, I wet two strips and applied them to the front of the sketch book that I am using for the Studying Under the Masters classes (link on sidebar). The front had a slick finish, but I had applied some sticker paper and acrylic paint with the name of the class on it previously to the plaster, so I'm hoping it doesn't pop off like the plaster heart did. So far, so good!


I let the strips dry, using gesso on the space down the sides that the strips didn't cover...


Once the plaster was dry, I dry brushed some violet and yellow acrylic paint over it, picking up the texture, and let it dry...


I printed off copies of two of the paintings I have done for the classes (Matisse and O' Keefe) and the title of the class on printer paper and, after I cut her out, did a gel transfer of the Matisse woman to the plaster. When that was done and dry, I cut out the calla lily and the words and collaged them on, also with gel medium. I learned that if the plaster gets wet, as with the gel transfer, it will come up during the rubbing process if I'm not careful.


I added a few touches of a gold leafing pen, two tiny real buttons, a little turquoise pan pastel rubbed on, and some touch ups to her dress with a white paint pen, and called it done. I like it!


Here are a few of the pages inside with my studies of the Masters' paintings, notes I took during the class, sketches, references, etc.- Matisse


Gaudi, an architect...


Gaudi Mosaic...


Cezanne watercolors...


Cezanne landscape...


Botticelli Madonna and Child sketch, ready to start painting...

These are only a few of the pages and the first part of the course. I left blank pages for each of the nine artists that we studied to do more studies and notes, so this book, and this course, is still very much a work in progress. Thankful the course is up for two years! Still lots to learn and practice!

Jeanne Oliver also has a new Studying With The Masters course available for the Fall. It will have six Masters to study with six new teachers and will concentrate on portraits and self portraits. I am already signed up! Go to www.jeanneoliver.ning.com for details!

I am certainly not one of the best artists out here, but I do love to try, and am so thankful to all the wonderful teachers out there willing to share their knowledge!

No comments: