Sunday, July 6, 2014

Altered Book Cover Journal-"Live, Love, Laugh"

I love making journals! This one was inspired by Jeanne Oliver in her class "Creatively Made".  It's not exactly like hers, and I messed up a couple of things and had to figure them out, but I got there eventually, and I love the finished journal!


Believe it or not, I've gotten over not being able to tear up a book! See! :) Covers from a book I wasn't going to read again. I'd rather they hadn't been black, but I went with it!


Inside covers after some altering, and I messed up the ribbon...


Pages made from random papers, canvas, wallpaper, etc., whatever I could fine; they will be altered


More pages...


More pages...


and more pages. I don't know how many pages of all sizes and textures I have, but it's enough to have a whole lot of fun on!


A ribbon holds the book together, a plastic button cover to tie it together, and a pic of me and my mama from 1949...


I thought it was finished here after I added the old leather, the inches, and the bamboo skewer sticks with the beads, but it still needed something...


I have a tendency to watch the demo video and take a few notes, then I don't look at it again as I do my project, which is why I often get off track. I did go back and look at the finished picture of Jeanne's journal though and loved the writing, so I did some writing on mine with a white gel pen and added another metal piece.

The beads on the bamboo skewers were handmade by me, the three little squares at the top are actually abstract "inchies" painted by me, the leather is from a belt my dad made for me years ago, and the metal pieces are bought pieces. I bought them a few years ago for something else and didn't use them, so here they are! The round one says "Peace" and the oblong one says "Live Love Laugh".

I know the ribbon doesn't really match, but it was handy. I'm not really liking it to hold the book together (I think the holes aren't really big enough for it), so I may, or may not, change it at some point. For now it's done...

1 comment:

Pam said...

Beautiful, I love the eclectic look of it. You will have to share as you alter the pages.