Monday, June 3, 2013

Strapless Woven Bag (weaving)



 
 

This is a bag (lacking the strap) I made from the very first piece I wove (first pic) when I had no idea at all of what I was doing, other than making a piece of fabric from yarns that I had on hand.

I used a cotton yarn (Peaches & Crème) for the warp and a thicker acrylic yarn for the weft. I don't know if this was such a good idea or not, but the main problem I had when I took it off the loom was that I didn't keep the heddle really straight when I beat the weft into place, and the selvages were not straight, so the overall shape of the fabric was kind of crooked.

I had problems when I sewed it up with one side being longer than the other and kind of curvy, but I managed to get the bag fairly straight. I cut the fringe short and left it on for embellishment. Both sides are alike, and I will probably add a lining too, when I decide what kind of strap I want to add.

I think it will be handy for craft supplies or something. Good experience! I'm learning! :)

3 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

what a really nice woven bag! I'll be curious as to what kind of strap you go with. here from CED

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great! Did you lock in the first and last row? I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that. I was lucky not to lose my whole piece when removing it from the loom. Mine is just a little mug rug, but very fun.
Stay inspired!

Maria Medeiros said...

oh wonderful!!!!!