Wednesday, May 1, 2013

2nd Cricket Loom Weaving, Quick sketches, and A Book

Since I got the first attempt at a tote bag fabric a little short, I decided to try another one. The only weave I know, so far, is plain weave, and this time I used the same size cotton yarn (Peaches and Crème, I think) for both the warp and the weft. I got this one a little longer than needed, and it wound up narrower than the first one. This fabric is about 41" x 12" after it was washed and not counting the fringe.

 
The fabric has been washed and dried here, but I haven't pressed it or smoothed the fringe back out yet. I haven't decided whether it's going to be part of the bag or not. This piece could also make a table runner for a small table or a scarf for a smaller table where it hangs off the sides. We'll see. :)
 
I also did a quick sketch of a crow sitting in a dead tree with a marker that is getting low on ink. I'm thinking about making a stamp with him.

 
A different quick sketch, which didn't turn out too well, but nevertheless I got some sketching in for the day. :)
 
Same woven piece. All I have to do now is press it, zigzag stitch around the edges to help keep it from raveling (if I'm going to make it into a bag), decide what to do about the fringe, and sew it into a bag, or whatever  I decide on.

 
A close up of the plain weaving. The warp yarn is off white with little smidgets of color here and there, and the weft yarn is ombre shades of brown. I love that where the colors cross it forms tiny crosses all over the piece.
 
I'm really wanting to warp the Cricket for another piece, however, there's a cone of butter yellow yarn at Wal-Mart that I've been lusting after for a while, but there is so much yarn on it I thought I'd never use it all. Since I now have the Cricket though, it's not a problem. Now the question is whether to wait til I go to Wal-Mart and get the yellow thread or go ahead and start another weaving with what I already have and use the yellow for the next project. Decisions! Decisions! :)
 
While I've been practicing weaving, I've also read the first two books in the Millennium Series Trilogy by Stieg Larson. I know, I'm way behind everyone else. Now that I'm reading them, I find them very hard to put down and can't wait to start the third one, "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest". I've seen all three movies, two of them subtitled too. I guess you could say I'm really enjoying the characters and the writing. :)
 
Anyway, hubby has gone fishing with his dad and his cousin, and I need to do some much needed cleaning out. Now to decide whether to do some de-cluttering, start the third Millennium novel, do some laundry and warp the Cricket. Hmmmmm...

No comments: