Sunday, April 22, 2018

Class 9 PYH&S 2018-"Joyful Journey" Mixed Media Storytelling

This class in storytelling with art was a lot of fun, and was inspired by Pia Rom's class in Paint Your Heart and Soul (link on sidebar). It is mixed media on paper in my journal (hers was on canvas or board) and involves painting, collage, and imagination, as well as other media, whatever was handy


First layer of black and white collage elements includes a few magazine images, a printed off pinterest image from another project, torn music pages from a piano book, a circle punched out, some book text, a value scale from another project, an original photo reversed and printed, and two recycled teabags that I experimented with prints and gold leaf on, basically whatever was laying around my workspace. 


I didn't necessarily follow the teacher's instructions in telling this story. I watched all the videos, then did the piece from what I could remember of her techniques, which means I might have left out some of hers and added in some of mine. 😳 Anyway, I added a layer of drawing and paint to tie the images together.



Added more drawing with a black stabilo pencil and acrylic paints, covering some images and bringing out others..


I added a wooden fabric stamp with black paint and tried to make the figures on the left look like one is pulling the other out of water, not very successfully, but I tried. I kept fiddling with the overall piece until...


it looked like this and I could live with it. There could be several stories going on here! I deliberately left the name of our town's old theatre backwards, and the seal represents the river running by our town, although we actually have no seals here in the south. It's kind of like a "fish out of water" thing, because I have always felt like a fish out of water.

When I look at this piece, it brings up all sorts of emotional stuff for me, even though the first layer of collage images were picked up and glued on randomly. It tells a story of me!

Perhaps one day I will write text to go with my art, because when I look back at older pieces, I can relate to when and what was going on with me when I created the drawings and paintings! I look forward to doing that.

Keep creating whatever you love! It's good for your soul! 💝

No comments: