Saturday, December 31, 2016

Ballerina Mandala

I don't exactly remember where I got the idea for this project, but I was playing around with different techniques that I've learned from various online teachers (Thank you all so much for sharing your art and yourself with me!)

I'm going to have to start writing the text to go with the pictures as I add them to the drafts. After a while, I get involved with other projects and forget what exactly I did the ones I already have in progress. Or maybe make notes!


Anyway, the substrate is cradled birch panel, which I failed to sand to smooth it out, thus it has kind of a rough texture showing through every other layer. I marked the center with a pencil, then applied indigo acrylic paint to, I think a stamp rectangle cut out of a foam plate, then applied the stamp to the edges, overlapping the ends.


The circle stamp is the bottom flat part of a foam plate with white gesso applied and stamped/printed on. I thought I had it centered, but, alas, it wasn't!


I drew and cut out the ballerina stencil from a sheet of stencil stuff, and applied white gesso through the negative space centered over the circle.


Deep purple acrylic has been painted over the white circle, more gesso added to the dress, and some flesh color to the skin.


I know this is looking the same color, but the circle is deep purple acrylic, and I added more indigo acrylic around the circle. Wasn't loving the splotchy look! The circle has been divided into sections for zen doodling.


As of now, I have started the zen doodling in the circle with a white gel pen, and it's another work in progress project that will eventually be finished. When it is I will post it!

I know nothing about it is perfect, but everything I do is a bit wonky. I am imperfect, therefore, whatever I create is imperfect. That doesn't stop me from loving to try!

No comments: