Sunday, November 20, 2016

Quirky Doodle (and other) Sketches

Often when I'm blocked, I can still do these quirky doodle sketches, and they eventually help me to resume my class work and other projects. Most of this year I have suffered from depression and from my muse going on hiatus, but I kept this journal by my bed and managed to bring these characters out while drinking my coffee some mornings.

Some are rough sketches, but most are quirky doodles, which means I close my eyes and lightly make  random marks and shapes on the page with a pencil, most of the time while listening to music, then I open my eyes and see what images I can pull out of the marks. It's kind of like a meditation for me. Sometimes the image jumps out right away; sometimes it takes a while, but there's always an image just waiting to come forth for me.

These are all made with Stablio, water-soluble pencils, and gone over with a water pen after the image shows up. I may, or may not, do something else to them at a later point in time. For now, I like them as they are!

Sketch from imagination...

Quirky Doodle...

Quirky...

Sketch of a styrofoam head wearing a wig...

Quirky...

Quirky...

Quirky...

Quirky...

Quirky...

Quirky...

Quirky...LOVE this lady!

Quirky...

Quirky...

Rough sketch from an old photo that I really liked!

These are fun to do and keep me in practice when my muse disappears on me! I've  just learned a new way to do contour drawings, which I will be integrating in with these in the future, I'm sure! :)

Keep Sketching, even if it's for only 10 minutes a day! I'll try to do the same! Our art will thank us for it! :)

No comments: