Sunday, March 5, 2017

Sacred Landscape-Project 2-Group

Hello! I've just finished project two, group painting, in Ivy Newports's Sacred Landscape class (see link in sidebar). It's on an 8" x 8" wooden cradled panel in mixed media, and it involves photo transfer (I borrowed an image from Pinterest for the photo), and painting over it.

I LOVE the work coming out of this class!


Photo transferred to gessoed panel and the first layers of paint applied. Complementary colors of yellow and magenta, with burnt umber and white gesso for toning, open acrylics, and a Stablio pencil was used. I forgot and laid in the colors like I wanted them at the end.


So I used a palette knife to put thick gel medium over the clothes for texture, let it dry, then painted over the first layer, added faces, and a building in the background...


Layers of paint added, and I decided to paint the faces out to give it more of an abstract look and dry brushed white gesso over the dried gel medium...


Added some drips and runs and more texture, and wrote "That's what friends are for" in the sky and signed it done! There are things I might do differently if I did it again, but I'm pretty happy with with how it turned out.


I decided the writing was standing out too much, so I went over it with a white stablio pencil, sprayed it with fixative and brushed on another coat of gel medium. I think the writing looks more a part of the background instead of sitting on top of it.

I don't necessarily follow the teacher's steps. I watch the video and take notes, then do what I do. They never turn out like I envision them, but that's part of the fun. When the painting starts talking back to you and takes you on a whole different journey than you started out on, it's exciting, no matter the outcome.

I can't wait to start the Project 3 adventure! Happy creating! 💖




No comments: