Monday, June 2, 2014

Study of Botticelli Young Girl 1-Masters Class-Week 4


Studying with the Masters class-Botticelli with Jenny Wentworth---Botticelli's version of a head taken from a group painting, a study that I have been working on, or not, for several weeks. Every photo of it was different color wise, so I didn't try to match. I just studied his process and did what I could. Below are some of the ugly steps she went through before I found a stopping place.


Journal page painted with black gesso, sketch with a white marks all Stabilo pencil...


Under painting, and I put a layer of burnt umber paint over the black gesso to warm it up some...


First layers of paint over the under painting...



More layers...


And a few more before...



I found a stopping place. I considered using a crackle effect on the black background, but decided against it. Botticelli's paintings were very smooth, and he often used brushes with very few bristles in them. I didn't have the patience to do that, but I did use a very small liner brush. The tiny strokes don't show up great in the photo, but they're there! Not as delicate and pretty as Botticelli's, but I like her!

I know there are a lot of things I could still do to make it better, but I enjoyed the process, learned from him, and moved on to Francoise de Felice. Two more artists to go! 

15 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

I love seeing your step by step on the painting and I think she turned out great!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work, and thanks for sharing your process! Valerie

Siggadisart said...

Great work :)

Linda Kunsman said...

good job! I loved seeing the steps of all the underpainting too.

JKW said...

This is fantastic. Thanks for the step by step. I could never have guessed. I haven't used black gesso yet, although Bob Ross has shown it in his teachings. Blessings, Janet PPF

Cindy D. said...

So many interesting incarnations of the painting! The place you stopped has a lovely crisp quality. I really love the hair! If I could provide one minor tip - Be careful about the size of the pupils. Their size and shape and placement can make so much difference even though they are tiny. :)

GlorV1 said...

Thanks for the step by step process. She turned out beautiful.:)

Anonymous said...

Vow, I'm glad for random pick in PPF, otherwise I wouldn't have seen this interesting process and the pure joy of the finished work. I like this very much!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats for the feature in PPF!
Amazing job!!

Laila said...

Beautiful study. It couldn't be easy to do a portrait like this. Love the process photos and your piece.

Deepa Gopal said...

Congrats on the feature! Love the process... :)
Deepa
http://deepazworld.blogspot.in/

kat said...

She is beautiful, great work!

Penny Lee StewArt said...

Thanks for sharing the process. Very inspiring. And your loose watercolor screen background is lovely.

Gillena Cox said...

Good result, worth all the work you put it, luv it

Much love...

Studio Kaufmann said...

Thanks so much for sharing your process. I loved seeing her come to life. Great result! Happy PPF Emma x