Friday, April 18, 2014

Study of Edward Hopper Room 1-Masters Class-Week 9


This week we studied Edward Hopper under Stephanie Lee, only this isn't the painting she worked on in her video. I, once again, chose one that spoke to me, and tried some of Hopper's techniques. We're not trying to copy the work exactly of any of the artists/teachers, but studying their techniques to make us better artists with our own unique style and voice, and it's awesome! :)


On some of these paintings I'm using clear gesso over the drawings on the smooth mixed media paper in my journal to give it some tooth. The acrylics on the bare paper seem more slippery than I like. Hopper did his in oil on canvas, so mine is not going to be an exact copy from the start.

Besides, I can't copy anything exactly, even if I wanted to. :) Above is my sketch from the original, which I got more horizontal than his was. I didn't notice that until after I started painting, but that's perfectly ok. Part of the process! ...


First layer of paint. Yuck!...


Another layer. Still yucky!...


White wall too yellow! Paintings, or anything else I do, for that matter, go through a lot of layers of ugliness before they get to the point I can tolerate them...


Added another layer of white over the whole wall. Too much! ...


Added some blue to the white and went back over the wall shadow. Some better...


After a little more re-adjusting all over, I decided to leave well enough alone and quit on it. It looks a bit like sun coming in and who knew I could paint little ocean waves? :) I have a couple more of Hopper's paintings that I'm going to study later too.

Still have works in progress for Botticelli (who I haven't worked on in a few weeks at all), Francoise de Felice (who I have been working on a lot and it's about to kick my behind-very difficult for me for some reason!), and Henry Clive (who I haven't been to class on yet, but did pick out and sketch a painting off to study already).

I purchased the book "How To Steal Like An Artist" by Austin Kleon for my Kindle off Amazon when I first started the class in January, because it was highly recommended by Jeanne Oliver for the class. It was very good and simple enough to understand! Today I purchased his book "Show Your Work" for my Kindle and am looking forward to reading it. It looks very helpful also!

Staying busy with everything but housework. I do it in my "spare" time! :D

You can find links for the Studying With the Masters class and for Creative Every Day, Paint Party Friday, and my FB page (where I will also be sharing this post) on my sidebar.

Happy creating and thanks for your visit!

5 comments:

DVArtist said...

Very nicely done. You really took the techniques and used them well.
Nicole/Beadwright

denthe said...

Looks great! interesting way to learn about other artists and developing your own style ...

My name is Erika. said...

I think you're getting a good feel for Mr. Hopper's style.

Cindy D. said...

In some ways it's a simple image but really it isn't! So interesting to see your whole process.

Giggles said...

Looks difficult in all the simplicity!! Good for you studying the masters!

Hugs Giggles