Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Class 15 PYH&S 2018-Spirit Horse

I am working on four classes at the same time, so from now on they will not be posted in the consecutive order, but as I finish them. I also decided to wait about doing the encaustic class (#12), because I do not have room to set it up right now. I'm going to have to do some cleaning and organizing in my work place first.

I also skipped ahead a couple of classes to do this class, because everyone was having so much fun with it and posting such wonderful pictures. It is class 15 in the PYH&S 2018 course (link on sidebar), and this is my version of Pamela Hayward's painted horse head. I used her reference picture, even though I wanted to paint the old gray mare that I had as a child. I just didn't want to take time to track it down.

Pam's was painted on a canvas or panel, but I used mixed media paper in my journal. As with the other paintings in the classes a canvas would have worked much better, but I just don't have the room, so they're going in a journal for practice. We used only black and white acrylic paints and her technique to create this.

Again, I do not always follow the instructor's lesson. I tend to get sidetracked into adding my own twists into the pieces, or I watch the video, then do the painting from memory, which is not so reliable anymore, and I tend to leave out steps. Anyway, I learn, and it's fun, therefore it's good for me, regardless of how it turns out! :)


Sketch on black gesso and black paint background from her reference photo...


First layer, then I forgot to photograph the progress until...



it was finished. I may have gotten a bit carried away with the mane and forelock, but I like it, so it's all good! Such a fun lesson! I do plan on doing one of my old gray mare, Ole Pat, soon!

I think Pam's second lesson in the course is an owl using these techniques. That should be fun too!

Hope you enjoy my efforts! Don't give up in your creative efforts. They are worth it! <3

No comments: