Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Quirky Doodle Painting-Koi, Bird, Egg Landscape

I've been painting this quirky doodle sketch off and on for a few days. I loved the sketch that emerged out of my stablio pencil marks on the journal page, which was done several months ago. I call these journals my "coloring books" of original sketches, and when I need a break from class work or more "correct" painting where I pay attention to the rules, I turn to a page and start coloring with paint and don't even think about the rules. I just go where the materials take me! So much more fun and relaxing!


The sketch that emerged from my random marks...


First layer of Chinese pan watercolor paint, just playing...


More layers of Chinese watercolor, plus a little salt sprinkled on the eggs for texture...


I thought I would like the pencil lines showing in the background. I didn't, but couldn't erase them after I had painted over them. I tried making the two egg outlines behind the pink egg black, but didn't like that either, so I played with gold leafing and made a golden egg. I went over the pencil lines in the water with a fine line paint applicator and titanium white fluid acrylic, which I also used to touch up and add texture in other places. A little touching up with a black gel pen was also added, and I thought it was done. I wasn't!


The salt texture wasn't showing up enough on the pink egg, so I added some spattering texture to it and the sand with shimmering gold and raw umber acrylic inks. NOW I'm calling it done, and I like it!

I tend to do these quirky sketches/paintings with no references; just imagination and memory, which doesn't always equal realism, or even close to it. I did look at pictures of Koi on Pinterest for some idea of where to put the fins. If you notice in the original sketch, the Koi has no fins or tail at all. I love Koi, but had never really studied their shapes and fins. My goal is not true realism, but enjoyment of the process. However it turns out, it's been good for my soul and well being, and it evokes emotion for me. If it does for someone else, that's frosting on the cake!

Don't give up! Keep doing what you love! 💖

No comments: