Friday, March 10, 2017

Sketches in Altered Book

When life gets in the way of my painting at all, or on days I don't have time, I try to sketch in/on something with various tools anyway, just to stay in practice with drawing and fearlessness. I love to look back through old journals/sketchbooks and if a page tells me it needs something more and what it is, I'll add it.

It's strange that I call this my Feather Journal, because, so far, the only feather in it is on the cover. It is an old book, titled, "Never Good Enough", that I read a long time ago. I needed a book (I think it was supposed to be really old, for effect) for an altered book project, and this one got elected.

So far, it has all practice faces and figures in it in various pencils, pens, charcoal, etc., but I've glued some pages together for strength, in case I want to go back and paint, collage, or do mixed-media on the faces/figures. I could cover up all the text except the message I want to convey, or just let some peek through the paint in various places. I still have a lot of pages to fill, but it will be fun to see where the journey winds up.



I haven't worked in this book in a long time, because I always have a bunch of works-in-progress and class work going on, but I had a few minutes before going somewhere, so I quickly sketched these characters off. Two are with a Posca Black Marker and one is charcoal, which is a little messy for my taste, but fun to play with once in a while. 👵

Anyway, it was fun to play, even for a few minutes! Keep doing what feeds your soul! 😇

No comments: