Saturday, December 31, 2016

More Quick Sketches and Contour Sketches

Sometimes I sketch while waking up in the mornings, especially if I'm having to go somewhere. These are the latest ones, mostly sketched last week. Not pretty, but fun to do and keeps me in practice!


Quick sketch in black stabilo of a wig on a styrofoam wig head, using white stabilo pencil trying to lighten some areas. I shouldn't have!


Ballpoint pen of me sitting on the edge of the bed looking in the closet door mirror, trying to do a quick contour sketch. NOT trying for a likeness!


Another quick contour sketch from the same place next morning with a ballpoint pen...


Another quick contour sketch with a ballpoint pen from the same place the next morning, only this time I got creative and put a scarf on my head..


Moving on to my little bear collection at the foot of the bed, a quick contour sketch of two of my favorite little bears, also in ballpoint pen...


Muffy Vanderbear and her horse Oatsie, a quick contour sketch with a black gel pen. My husband gave these to me for Christmas years ago. I've always loved them!


I used to have a terra cotta ceramic angel like this on a shelf, and one day I surrounded it with magnolia blossoms and made reference pictures for painting. I did do a watercolor painting of it and just recently took it down to hang another painting. Unfortunately, I broke the ceramic version one day. Anyway, the watercolor painting was sitting on the chest of drawers looking at me, so I did a very quick contour sketch in black gel pen of just the angel sitting alone on the shelf blowing kisses.

As I said, these are not pretty, but that's not the idea. The idea is to keep in practice and to create something every day, even if it's raw and ugly and imperfect. That's how I get better at what I love to do, hopefully!

Don't give up! Keep creating!

No comments: