Tuesday, December 20, 2016

First Fabric Journal-Part 1

I kept seeing wonderful, gorgeous, fabric books online, and I decided that I HAD to try making one. I watched several youtube videos on fabric books, and adapted them according to what materials I had on hand. One of my favorite videos is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymUmZ6IHtqM       Annie is msgardengrove1


I cut two lengths for the cover and pages for the base out of a quilted cloth placemat to give it some sturdiness, cut enough lace fabric and muslin to cover both sides of the cover and inside pages, pinned them, and sewed them together. Then I sewed six lines dividing the middle into pages, and leaving enough room for thickness of added elements.

I think I cut the two lengths 6" x 12", so the book, when closed is 6" x 6".


This is how it looked, opened, and before I added anything else to it. I'm not the best seamstress, but all of this will be covered up anyway.


I learned how to make handmade fabric flowers online, gathered up different fabrics, and tried different flowers...


Net pompom flower and my mom crocheted the two little doilies to use for flower centers. I could have crocheted them, but she was crocheting big doilies at the time, so she did it for me.


Using a hot glue gun, I glued a piece of an old kitchen curtain, some lace, and one of my handmade flowers to the front.


I found the trim for the spine at Walmart and glued it on. I love it!


The old kitchen curtain was continued  on the back cover, and I added another handmade flower, buttons, and more lace with the hot glue gun.


Back on the front I added one of the little crocheted doilies to my flower, and a button for the center, plus more lace, buttons, a beaded piece of fabric from an old wedding dress, a gold angel button, a fluff of net, and more lace. I am doing this book in mostly white and shades of cream. At least that's what I have planned for now.


The front and back cover, opened up. The front has several layers on it already, and I will add more to the back as ideas, or fabrics, come to me.


I decided to use it as a photo album, and scanned photos of my grandparents, parents, my husband and me, and our beloved little fur baby, Kibbles into the computer and printed them off in black and white onto muslin and cut them out. The left page holds my paternal great-grandparents, and the right page has my paternal grandmother. I hot glued muslin pockets onto both pages, strips of white satin left over from my cousin's wedding dress, then the photos.

I started this back in the summer, but my muse ran off, and life happened, and this is as far as I've gotten, but I have collected lots of stuff from old clothing that I can no longer wear, other crafts, and the Goodwill store is a gold mine of fabrics and laces to use, especially if you don't want brand new embellishments.

 Each page will have multiple layers of fabrics, laces, doilies, and other embellishments. Looking forward to getting back to work on this one and finishing it! Will share more as I work on it!

 I already have another one cut out to start, hopefully in velvets! :o

Do something that feeds your soul and makes you happy every day!


No comments: