Monday, June 29, 2015

Stencil Cutting Practice

Been practicing cutting my own stencils and masks and trying them out in one of my art journals. All of the try-out journal pages will be worked on further, so these are just beginning pages and are still works in progress...


Journal pages, of various papers, where I tried out the stencils cut from Graphix stencil blanks at the top, and the stencils/masks at the bottom. I know they don't look perfect, and they aren't, but I happen to like wonky and imperfect! :) I used open media acrylics dabbed on with a stencil brush for these pages...


The same journal pages after I added some marks all pencil to the birds/chicks to further define them. I like them! :)


Journal page try-outs on the top on gessoed and patterned paper, with open media acrylics; stencil and mask on the bottom! Bare beginnings of the pages.


I cut these stencils/masks from a blue transparent Graphix stencil film, on the bottom, and tried them out on journal pages of various backgrounds and papers by spraying Delusions Inks on them. I have since done more work on them, but don't have pictures yet.

I'm staying with very simple designs to learn on, and I think I'm getting better with every one. I've had trouble with my stencil cutter getting too hot and causing the point to bend while I'm cutting. I'm going to try a different point next time, and if that doesn't work, I'll retreat to using an x-acto knife again. They're pretty dependable for lots of things!

Have a great week!


No comments: