Sunday, July 13, 2014

First Attempt at Making Jewelry-Earrings

I recently took an online basic class called Vintage Trinket Jewelry Making from Andrea Singerella on Jeanne Oliver's site. I took it on a whim, but I enjoyed it from much! This my first attempt at making a pair of earrings, very basic and simple...for her! lol

I'm not crazy about the wire that goes through my ears, but that's all I could find a Wal-Mart the day I looked. There wasn't much choice about the color of findings either. I already had these glass beads that I had bought at hobby lobby for another project a while back, so I decided they would be pretty to practice with.


The first mistake I made was putting the bigger jump ring on the ear wires and closing it up first. I would have had to open it back up to attach the bead, which would have weakened it and maybe cause it to break. They are not the strongest of findings to start with.

I threaded the bead onto a head pin and attempted to wrap the wire around itself while forming a loop to attach a smaller jump ring to. Needless to say, the wrapped wire doesn't exactly match on both earrings.

Anyway, not much problem handling these elements while I was working. The really tedious part came when I tried to attach a tiny #4 jump ring to connect the bead and the larger #6 jump ring on the ear wires. I lost count of how many times I dropped those little suckers! They would hit the table and then the floor. Several jump rings disappeared when they hit the floor. I have big hands to work on tiny stuff, so it got kind of nerve wracking for me, but I refused to let them get the best of me.

Once the whole earring ran away on the floor and it took me forever to find it!

Anyway, I persevered and got them done. Not perfect, nor even good, really, but wearable and fun, even if they dangle a little longer than I meant for them too. Plus I got some practice in how to handle my tools and findings!

I will be making some more, but the next time I won't be in such a hurry to attach the ring to the ear wire before it's time and I will have a little tray, box lid, or something to keep those little parts corralled! Lessons learned! :)


No comments: