Sunday, July 20, 2014

Altered Magazine Page

Sometimes when I get blocked or a little bored with what I'm doing I like to try something a little different for a distraction. I don't sell my work, and I'm not brave enough to give it away. It is strictly for my own pleasure, even though I'm sharing them here. Hopefully I'm not infringing on anybody!

 In this case it's a magazine page that I learned how to alter in several different classes. I should have used a thicker magazine page. It would have been easier to work with, nonetheless, I went with this one, just for fun. I gessoed everything on the page except the elements I wanted to keep. The only original elements left are the flower and the penguin, because I love penguins!


The clock was on another page. I tore it out and transferred it to this page with gel medium. I'm aware that the numbers on it are backwards, but I like it that way. There's a message in there somewhere!


A layer of titanium buff was painted over the gesso with a layer of white texture made with a rubber texture tool. This page is still a work in progress, but there is plenty of room to write down my thoughts and add other elements when I'm ready. I could spin a great tale about this penguin and the clock, and I may just do that one day! :)


This is the back of the page. I loved the scene at the top, but not all the stuff on the bottom, so I gessoed over the bottom half with white and the top with clear gesso. Now I can do whatever I want on it and with it! FUN!!!

No comments: