Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Study of Henry Clive Pierriotte 1-Masters Class-Week 10


 Studying Henry Clive under Christy Tomlinson in the Studying With the Masters Class: This was supposed to be week 7, but something came up that week, so we took a break for this week and played catch up with the other artists. So this class was moved to last and became actually week 10, and the last class and artist. 

I love the illustration by Clive above, because I love the Pierette (?) clowns (not circus clowns though). Clive was known for his magazine cover illustrations, and this one looks like it was done in pastels. I, once again used acrylics in my mixed media journal. 

Like all the other masters, his work is deceptively simple looking!


I started with a loose sketch after I put a coat of clear gesso over the page, giving the paper a tooth to grab the paint. It also makes the acrylics not so slick and shiny looking.


I got it a little bit larger than it should have been, but it's practice, so I left off the magazine title in the background and painted an undertone of ochre and red, because I can see some orangy-red peeking through the other colors...


Mixed up some black and white to make gray and put in a layer, adding more white in places...


She's hideous here! Her face is out of proportion, and it shows up really bad. I straightened up her facial features and the side of her face and kept adding layers of paint and tinkering with it until...


I found a place that I though I'd better stop. I can live with her! Black and white objects, or faces are really difficult for me, so this one was definitely a challenge, but she was worth it to me.

I now have at least one study done from each of the nine masters we studied, so now I can go back and do some more of the prompts that the teachers gave us. I have learned quite a bit about myself through the process of this class, as well as from the Masters and the teachers, and I'm grateful. :)

Links on the sidebar for this course and places that I also share my art, my FB page, Creative Every Day, and Paint Party Friday.

I hope you have enjoyed my journey through these classes, and I look forward to sharing more from it as I complete it. I don't claim to be a pro, or even good, but I do love the process of learning and doing! :)

8 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing Artwork!

SLScheibe said...

Looks gorgeous! Love the orange undertones in her skin :)

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful:) very whimsical

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful work again! Valerie

VonnyK said...

Wow, this is incredible. I love that you showed the stages, faces are so scary. This is really fabulous.
Von.

DVArtist said...

Wow she is beautiful. I like the black and white.
Nicole/Beadwright

Abela said...

What good work, I really like bellisima!. Saludos

Giggles said...

Really wonderful work!

Hugs Giggles