Sunday, March 2, 2014

Antoni Gaudi Gate Sketch1-Masters Class-Week 2

In week 2 of Studying with the Masters, with Junelle Jacobson, we studied Antoni Gaudi, a Spanish architect, who used mixed media elements in his elaborate buildings, gates, and parks. I had never heard of him and wasn't particularly interested in an architect. Even after I looked at pictures of his work on Pinterest I wasn't interested, but once I watched the videos about him, watched Junelle's demos, and started really paying attention to his work, I was hooked. I particularly love the mosaics and the gates in his buildings.


Above is a gate designed by Gaudi. If you look closely, he has used all sorts of recycled elements in the design. Once I started sketching the top of the gate, I realized that it was shaped like a morning glory. At least that's what I perceived it to be. His work was very much inspired by elements in nature.


My pitiful partial rendition of the gate in Stablio black pencil in my art journal with notes, gone over with a Pitt pen that was almost out of ink. It's in my mixed media journal, and I gave up trying to draw all the quirky swirls of wires, pipes, and hoses, as I ran out of patience. Gaudi had a lot of patience and creativity!

I have two other Gaudi projects in progress, a paper mosaic piece and a painting, but I'm moving on to week 3, Cezanne. I will continue working on these, even as I study about and practice on other artists. Matisse and Gaudi have been awesome, and I expect the other seven masters and teachers will be, also.

No comments: