Monday, September 16, 2013

Flag Love-Mixed Media on Canvas

I love Sue Pelletier's work and am about to take one of her online classes "Loose and Raw Painting." And I know that the patriotic holidays are over for now, but I saw this idea and article by her in the July/Aug 2013 issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors after I had seen some pictures from some online artist friends who had taken the live class, and I immediately loved it and wanted to make one too!

In the article, Sue uses a 16 x 20" gallery canvas, but I didn't have one handy, nor did I have the room right now, so mine is a 5 x 7" gallery canvas. It is composed of layers of collage, acrylic paints, a shoe soul stamp (stars), writing with different things, and of course, gel medium and gesso.


I had so much fun with it! Now I want to make a bigger better one! :)


Work in progress: I've been brushing my excess paint onto this blank mixed media board while I worked on the flag. Today I added a butterfly stencil, some writing, spray inks, and some spatters. We'll see what comes next!

Also sharing on Creative Every Day and Paint Party Friday (see sidebar for links) challenges. :)

7 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

What a gorgeous piece! Great that you knew what you wanted and adapted to suit you.
Love the idea of creating a canvas using leftover paint.

Netty said...

smashing results, have fun. Happy PPF, Annette G

Faye said...

Wonderful idea for anytime, not just on patriotic holidays. It's beautiful.

Debbie said...

Beautiful work!

www.dorissdaughter.com said...

I love your style of work and look forward to seeing what you create with Sue Pelletie. Her workshop sounds great!

SAMARA said...

I love this idea! it takes something wonderful and makes it better, in my mind. way to play! HPPF!!!

A Magical Whimsy said...

Awesome! I love the flag with all its embellishments.